2018 judges comments coming soon
Judges’ Comments 2017
Food lovers Favourite award-winning hotel in Bendigo
Dining at the Brougham Arms in Bendigo is a thoroughly satisfying experience. There’s a variety of comfortable seating areas and staff were thoroughly professional and attentive to the slightest of customer needs – always with a good disposition without being obtrusive. The chef is clearly highly competent offering interesting varieties of richly textured taste sensations. A delightful feature is the attention to detail. Each dish is presented on distinctive plates with different shapes, sizes, and colours. Food highlights included; Marinated Kiwi Calamari in a wonderfully sharp parsley, burghul, sesame and lime sauce. Crispy Fried Chicken Ribs brined in buttermilk, with chipotle mayo, smoked chilli salt and grilled lime. Grilled Barramundi Fillet served on a white bean puree with roasted vegetables, chorizo crumble and House semi-dried tomatoes. Slow Cooked Beef with pumpkin and jasmine rice fried shallots and B&B herbs in a wonderfully piquant red curry sauce. Smashed Pavlova with sweet labna and blood orange granita, hazelnuts and a toffee shard. And Sheep’s Yoghurt and Vanilla Bean Pana Cotta with Butterscotch figs. All looking and tasting as good as they sound. There was a great selection of wines, craft beers and ciders in the extensive drinks list (much of it local), good advice available from staff, and the coffee was well above average for hotels. The Brougham Hotel offers real value for money. Visitors to Bendigo should enjoy the experience – but book because this hotel is very popular!
Special Strengths in 2017
Comfortable and congenial. Variety of dining spaces. Unobtrusive and helpful customer service. Excellent variety enjoyable dishes. Good choices local wines and beers. Good coffee. Very good value for money.
- REGIONAL WINNER – Best Hotel Dining – Sponsored by Comcater P/L
- REGIONAL WINNER – Best Customer Service – Sponsored by European Affair
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – PETER WATSON MEMORIAL AWARD for BEST CHEF – Rory Brown – Sponsored by Luxury Escapes
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – Best Regional Cellar of local Wines Beers and Ciders – Sponsored by Furphy
- FINALIST – Best Menu of Local Foods – Sponsored by Western Plains Pork
2016 State Awards
- STATE FINALIST Best Hotel Dining sponsored by Comcater P/L.
2016 Regional Awards
- Regional WINNER Best Hotel Dining sponsored by Comcater Pty. Ltd.
- Regional HIGHLY COMMENDED Peter Watson Memorial Award for Best Chef (Rory Brown) sponsored by Garuda Indonesia Airlines and Comcater P/L.
- Regional HIGHLY COMMENDED Best Value for Money sponsored by Bendigo Tourism
- Regional FINALIST Best Menu of Local Wines, Beers and Ciders sponsored by Bendigo Tourism
- 2015 Best Hotel – State Winner
- 2015 Best Hotel – Regional Winner
- 2015 Best Chef – Greg Egan – Regional Winner
- 2015 Best Restaurant – Regional Winner
- 2015 Best Customer Service – Highly Recommended
- 2014 Best Chef – Greg Egan – State Winner
- 2014 Best Chef – Greg Egan – Regional Winner
- 2014 Best Hotel Dining – Highly Commended