2018 judges’ comments coming soon
What the judges said in 2017
Everything you want in an unlicensed café
Pickers Union is an exceptional unlicensed cafe doing so much so well in North Geelong. Set in an old industrial building it has recently been enlarged but continues to rub shoulders with the fascinating antiques and collectibles market. The light-filled space of the café is vibrant, open, clean and fresh; it’s full of personality, great music was being played, and it’s a terrific spot to relax and enjoy. The Pickers Union staff is welcoming and engaging, work as a friendly team, and take pride in the café. The food is delicious and well presented with a breadth of options and good serving sizes. Stand-outs included health bowls, burgers, pulled pork, tender mushrooms packed with flavour, kale salads, pancakes, waffles, pumpkin cheesecake slice, mascarpone, and house made cakes and slices. The Pickers Union coffee was spot-on delicious and made with speed and perfect consistency. Amazingly, all this comes from a compact kitchen. Foods and drinks were reasonably priced and are great value for money. We enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch at Pickers Union. Highly recommended.
Consistently excellent coffee. Terrific atmosphere. Good choice of delicious foods. Good customer service. Adjacent to antiques and collectables market. Good value for money.
- REGIONAL WINNER – Best Value for Money – Sponsored by Maxim PR & Marketing
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – Best Regional Coffee – Sponsored by Maxim PR & Marketing
- FINALIST – Best Unlicensed Cafe – Sponsored by The Gordon
2016 State Awards
- FINALIST Best Coffee sponsored by Maxim PR & Marketing
2016 Regional Awards
- WINNER Best Coffee sponsored by Maxim PR and Marketing
- FINALIST Best Unlicensed Cafe sponsored by The Gordon