Judges’ Comments 2017
Top hospitality and value in small country town
Driving to the attractive township of Avoca in SW Victoria you can pass through all too quickly. If you do you’ll miss the chance to experience the Avoca Hotel – a charming old pub that has hospitality in its DNA. Enter the public bar where time could fly chatting with the staff and tasting the best of his handpicked local beers and wines. Then move to the comfortable dining room, pull up a seat in front of the open fire and enjoy the array of fine meals produced from locally sourced ingredients. The menu offers a surprising range of food styles; classic French, Japanese, Chinese, modern Australian, classic pub foods, and a good bar menu. Stand outs included the delicious Tuki Trout, fillet of pork belly, prawn wombok parcel, cauliflower dauphine. And the desserts were everything you might expect (the Avoca Hotel was Winner of the Golden Plate State Awards in 2106). Classic desserts brilliantly prepared with a modern twist, including crème brulee infused with pepper and chocolate fondant with fantastic burnt butter ice cream. The outstanding drinks list is created with care, understanding and passion. Effort has been taken to feature many smaller vineyards and microbreweries instead of dealing with single larger sources. Staff knowledge of the drinks menu was brilliant, and the coffee was superior to most hotels. When a venue like this receives high accolades prices usually creep up, but not here. This Hotel continues to provide great food and drinks, excellent service, and great value for money. Next time you are looking for a top hospitality experience you can rely on make The Avoca your destination.
Wonderful country-style hospitality. Extensive quality menu with something for everyone. Brilliant regional wine and beer menu. Open fires. Exceptional value for money.
- STATE and REGIONAL WINNER – Most Outstanding Front of House Person – Alison Chapman – Sponsored By Maxim PR & Marketing
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – Best Regional Hotel Dining – Sponsored by Comcater P/L
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – Best Regional Customer Service – Sponsored by European Affair
- FINALIST – Best Chef – Rebecca Murphy – Sponsored by Luxury Escapes
- FINALIST – Best Cellar of local Wines Beers and Ciders – Sponsored by Furphy
- FINALIST – Best Menu of Local Foods – Sponsored by Western Plains Pork
2016 State Awards
- STATE WINNER HARWOOD ANDREWS GOLDEN PLATE AWARDS
- STATE WINNER BEST HOTEL DINING sponsored by Harwood Andrews
- STATE WINNER BEST MENU OF LOCAL WINES BEERS AND CIDERS sponsored by Harwood Andrews
- STATE FINALIST PETER WATSON MEMORIAL AWARD FOR BEST CHEF (REBECCA MURPHY) sponsored by Garuda Indonesia & Comcater P/L.
2016 Regional Awards
- Regional WINNER HARWOOD ANDREWS GOLDEN PLATE AWARDS sponsored by Harwood Andrews
- Regional WINNER Best Hotel Dining sponsored by Comcater P/L.
- Regional WINNER Best Cellar of Local Wines, Beers and Ciders sponsored by Visit Ballarat
- Highly Commended Best Customer Service sponsored by Visit Ballarat
- Highly Commended Peter Watson Memorial Award for Best Chef Rebecca Murphy sponsored by Garuda Indonesia & Comcater P/L.
- Regional Finalist Best Menu of Local Food sponsored by Visit Ballarat
- Regional Finalist Most Outstanding Front of House Person – Alison Chapman sponsored by Maxim PR & Marketing
- 2015 – Best Hotel – Regional Winner
- 2015 – Outstanding Front of House – Regional Winner – Alison Chapman
- 2015 – Garuda Indonesia Best Chef – Highly Commended – Christopher Howe
- 2015 – Best Cellar of Local Wines – Regional Winner
- 2015 – Best Menu of Local Foods – Highly Commended
- 2014 – Best Hotel Dining – State Winner
- 2014 – Best Chef – Christopher Howe – Highly Commended
- 2014 – Best Menu of Local Wines – Highly Commended
- 2014 – Best Hotel Dining – Regional Winner