Judges’ Comments 2017
Authentic Rural Italian cuisine in Kyneton
La Bonta is a Contemporary Dining restaurant that shows that Regional Victoria is home to excellent dining and value for money. With ingredients sourced locally and prepared by Chef Tim Austin with Italian creativity and pennacchio (flair) La Bonta is a treat for those who love Italian style, care about what they eat, and like to explore great foods and wines. There’s theatre here with the kitchen open to the dining room, the customers enthusiastic, and the friendly staff adding enjoyment to the occasion. The quality of the meals was exceptional. Chef and owner Tim Austin places a huge emphasis on fresh and local foods. The Mozzarella section is a point in case. Here are four different cheese dishes where each is allowed to be the hero but is supported by a clever accompaniment. The Fior de Latte was amazing – a symphony of tastes and textures which delighted the palate and had me marvelling at the simplicity of the ingredients. The Zucchini flowers were simply the best I have had, their delicate flavours enhanced by a light-as-air batter. We sampled the Tavola La Bonta banquet where Chef chose the wonderful dishes. It was a treat to have Chef present the dishes at our table. The list of wines, beers, ciders, liqueurs and aperitifs was extensive ranging up to top shelf and uncommon offerings. It was comforting to be able to get recommendations from the well informed staff who seemed to know just what we wanted. The value for money at La Bonta was exceptional with the banquet only $75 per person including drinks. Kyneton, it seems, is back to its former glory days.
Authentic Italian atmosphere and cuisine. Customer service that adds value to the occasion. Superb foods and wines. Family friendly. Very good value for money.
- REGIONAL WINNER – Best Contemporary Dining – Sponsored by Comcater P/L
- REGIONAL WINNER – Peter Watson Memorial Award for Best Chef – Dave Robson – Sponsored by Luxury Escapes
- REGIONAL WINNER – Best Menu of Local Foods – Sponsored by Western Plains Pork
- REGIONAL WINNER – Most Outstanding Front of House Person – JAMES BONE – sponsored by Luxury Escapes
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – Best Regional Customer Service – Sponsored by European Affair
- HIGHLY COMMENDED – Best Regional Coffee – Sponsored By Maxim PR & Marketing
- FINALIST – Best Value for Money – Sponsored By Maxim PR & Marketing